Thirteen different meanings !
When an English-English speaking person comes to the States how should he know that :
1. he doesn't go to a toilet but has to rest in a restroom ? Even when it's urgent !
2. he doesn't eat a biscuit but a cookie and doesn't even get an indigestion because he thought it was something for the computer
3. he is not a chap anymore but a guy and is afraid of wrong prononciation "gay".
4. he has not a booth in his car but a trunk and thinks he now has a corpse in his booth.
5. he doesn't drive in a lorry but in truck
6. he doesn't have a bonnet at his car but a hood. Wasn't that a bonnet to wear ?
7. he doesn't sit in a garden but in a yard and askes himself if it is bigger then a meter ?
8. he hasn't a pushchair to push but a stroller and what does a stroller then walking around and looking at girls ?
9. He is not in a lift but in an elevator. Fortunately both went up and down and didn't get stuck
10. He has no wardrobe anymore but a closet and wonders why he should put his clothes in a toilet or restroom
11. he doesn't get post anymore but mail and wonders why the postman rings twice and not the mailman ?
12. he isn't wearing trousers but pants and askes himself what he should put under his pants ?
13. He doesn't watch a film but a movie and his chair is not moving
Poor poor Englishman in New York !